I give up (at least for tonight)

root jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:26:27 -0700

Orig Msg> > So, I had a 128MB AVI file that has 46 seconds of video on it, totally
Orig Msg> > uncompressed.
Orig Msg> > It plays terrible jerking in Linux.
Orig Msg> > I switch back to Win98 and it plays flawlessly.
Orig Msg> > I just sick of the whole thing. At least I can get certain OSes to do
Orig Msg> > what I want them to do, without having to be a computer programmer.
Orig Msg> > Good night!
Orig Msg> > Mark

Using xanim the documentation would suggest
a few command line switches to "smooth" out the playback.
It is no different that changing buffer settings and other settings
in MS-MediaFlayer and RealFlayer.

The difference is only in the graphical "trial and error"
versus "read the docs" type of setup.
RTFM is the only way to get passed this kind of frustration.

With great power comes great responsibility.

By analogy:
Driving a car is an experience where the driver is immersed
in the experience.
Imagine never having driven a vehicle and then given one
with a manual trannie and being told to go pick up mom at the airport.
Controlling a 3000+ pound mass of metal with a soft gooey filling
requires that the operator read a manual, practice, make mistakes,
learn from the mistakes, and get tested to a minimum level of proficiency.

Linux is like that.
The user is "immersed" into an environment and unless the user
is willing to learn how the OS is "driven" and work thru the mistakes
only frustration can occur.

There needs to be an understanding of using the right tool
for the job. In Linux the real challenge is usually
finding the tool.

I know that is probably not what you want to hear but
it is the reality of Linux/UNIX that it is not inherently
easy for a user steeped in Windows/Mac operation to just
step into and expect to be productive.

Take some time, learn the ropes, when you are ready to come back
Linux,*BSD, UNIX, HURD,???, will be there for you to try.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular