I give up (at least for tonight)

Lucas Vogel lucas7@home.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:51:12 +0700

Mark,
	Part of the problem you could be having is because of RealPlayer
itself. I have never been able to use it very well on Linux - even
though it came w/Caldera, my guess is that it's still in beta. There are
a number of different programs built for Linux that you can view your
movie with. Where do you find these? At freshmeat.net or whatever
website you use to find and download applications for Linux.
	If you're looking for the distro that does everything a Windows OS
does(as far as apps etc. goes), I don't really know if there is one yet,
but I'm sure it's in the works if it isn't there yet already. The BeOS
might be a good alternative as well; I'm going to play with it when I
get the opportunity to, and I think it's got a lot of potential. I'm
still looking for the Linux distro that will let Linux morons such as
myself muck things up and still run like it's supposed to, no matter
what app/package I install that might break others...

Lucas Vogel

> "Mark R. Myers" wrote:
>
> I ready to chuck this whole Linux thing!
> I went to CompUSA today and bought OpenLinux 2.4 for the eDesktop.
> It is supposed geared to make the Linux experience better for a
> desktop user, with RealAudio already configured to work with Netscape,
> Adobe Acrobat, the whole nine yards.
> I installed it with little problems, but it did not like any of my
> Linux-compatible network cards. I tried 3 different ones that I know
> are Linux compatible...nothing.
> So, I reinstalled Mandrake 7. No problems, everything looks great.
> Recently I decided to transfer some video taped material onto CD-Rs so
> that hopefully it would last longer.
> So, I had a 128MB AVI file that has 46 seconds of video on it, totally
> uncompressed.
> It plays terrible jerking in Linux.
> I switch back to Win98 and it plays flawlessly.
> I just sick of the whole thing. At least I can get certain OSes to do
> what I want them to do, without having to be a computer programmer.
> Good night!
> Mark

Hi! I'm a signature virus.
Copy me into your .sig to join the fun!