Cron Errors

D. Taylor dtaylor@www.dssolutions.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:06:54 -0700 (MST)

Actually, the teergrube is ingenious, pure Eeevil, and
fully SMTP compliant, all rolled into one.

The basic idea is this:  A Linux or FreeBSD system
running on a 386 with 8M of RAM can process trillions
of mail messages per second.  If a spammer is able to
use your system, say, starting on a Friday night, by
the time you realize what's happening on Monday morning,
your system has annoyed moles and moles of users.  The
spammer really likes your system because it's so fast.
Now imagine introducing, say, an intentional thirty-
second delay on each message.  Thirty seconds isn't
that long for a user to wait for his mail, but to a
spammer, your system suddenly becomes A LOT less
attractive.  For the IP addresses of your friends,
you can configure the teergrube to hand off the
connection to your real MTA (qmail or sendmail)
without any delay.