partitions and partitioning

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 01:02:31 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> It seems as though my Cox@Home service has been restored.
>
> My question:
> I am running SuSE 6.3 which is sucking up all of the disk space I gave

SuSE will take all the space you give it if you let it. Don't be afraid to
axe stuff. For instance, do you really need all 50 minesweeper clones? :)

Bye axe stuff I mean use yast to deinstall packages.

> it. Is it possible to move directories to another partition without
> having to delete anything? Or, I was also thinking of moving my /usr/doc
> directory to another partition, with a link to the new location where it
> originally was. Is this wrong?

Nothing wrong with it. Being a good idea is another question ;-).

In this case it's not a bad idea. I've done it several times in the
past. It seems to me that there's a lot that can be zipped as well the way
I remember SuSE being.

cd /usr
find doc | cpio -pvdm /path/to/new/location/

will recursively copy everything over. Make sure you have enough space in
the new home, of course :).

Once you're happy rm -r /usr/doc, then ln -s /path/to/new/location/doc
/usr/doc.

You can't recursively move across partitions, but this is the moral
equivalent.

BTW, this is a pretty good way to move from one hard disk to another. I've
used worse methods as well :). Absolutely no need to reinstall when
changing out hardware under most circumstances.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans