Local comments on the ruling yesterday

John Mosier jmosier@netzone.com
Tue, 04 Apr 2000 19:12:56 -0700

At 05:37 PM 4/4/00 , you wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 05:18:18PM -0700, Mike Sheldon wrote:
> > Since Corel now owns Ventura, what's the odds they would port it to
> Linux? A
> > Linux port might be the foothold it needs to regain marketshare from
> > PageMaker and Quark.

I would like to see Corel do the Linux port.  I am not sure there is
a big enough market for Ventura to make this work.  I still use
Ventura 5 every day and occasionally Ventura 7.  My relationship
with Corel began around 1987 with Corel Fonts, a font manipulation
package that preceeded Corel Draw 1.0.

Since Corel owns Ventura, it may have the right to sue Microsoft the
same way Calera did.  I think I may see if their is the potential
of some "Class Action Activity" here.

>FrameMaker is also supposed to get ported.  It has its share of zealots
>too so maybe it's better... haven't had to chance to use it yet myself.

That port is done.  FrameMaker is an Adobe product now.  I think you
can get FrameMaker free from Adobe (if you have the bandwidth to
go get it.)