X permissions

Roger Prutsman rprutsman@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:14:50 -0700 (PDT)

I have an interesting prob. Someone gave me a copy of
TurboLinux 6.0 the other day. I trashed an NT box at
work and threw it on (wish we all could do that). I
installed just enough to get on the network and be
able to move around.
I then installed XF86 and GNOME. I got it on, and I
used XF86Setup to set up the GUI. All ok so far. I
then login as myself (user) and type startx. I then
get a server crash. Here's the message:

   "xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root
permissions. You should be using Xwrappers to start
the server or xdm. We strongly advise against making
the server SUID root!"

I am not sure where to look on this one. All the perms
are the default, and this has never been a problem
before. I can run X as root, but not as a user. I know
this is a Perm issue, just not sure where to look.