Local comments on the ruling yesterday

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:46:14 -0700

I don't see how MS had anything to do with Ventura Publisher's difficulties,
since MS STILL doesn't have a competing product in that market (High-end
document publishing software). Ventura's difficulties can be squarely placed
on mishandling by it's owners. (I was a Ventura user once)

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/
PGP Key Available on Request

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Jim W
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 16:30
To: PLUG-Discuss
Subject: Local comments on the ruling yesterday

 From todays Republic...

By Jonathan Sidener
The Arizona Republic
April 4, 2000

Employees at Enhanced Software Technologies cheered the decision by U.S.
District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson that Microsoft violated the Sherman
Antitrust Act.

The Phoenix company sees the decision as another shot in the arm for the
Linux operating system that it supports.

<snip>

Enhanced Software Technologies Vice President Tim Jones said the ruling was
partially symbolic. While the company's employees cheered Monday's news, the
real breakthroughs of the case already may have happened, Jones said.

"We've seen a real loosening of Microsoft's stranglehold on the industry
simply from the filing of the suit," he said.

"There's been more willingness of manufacturers to offer other operating
systems. Major manufacturers such as IBM and Dell are willing to offer
competing systems such as Linux or Free BSD much more readily today."

<snip>

John Mosier, owner of Phoenix-based Excelco, describes himself as a "Bill
Gates hater," but he, too, hopes for a cautious remedy.

Mosier said his Laser Works company went out of business seven years ago
when Microsoft put Digital Research and Ventura Publisher on the ropes.
Laser Works designed software to work with products from the two other
companies.

"I'm in favor of anything they can do to get Microsoft to quit taking unfair
advantage," he said. "But I'm not in favor of government intervention. If
they do it the wrong way, they can hurt a lot of people."

<snip>

Copyright 2000, Arizona Central