Hardware problems

Mark R. Myers myers@fastq.com
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:52:58 -0700

No, I have not over-clocked the systems. Everything is set on the
motherboard as it should be.
I did take the (1) 128MB DIMM out and put the (2) 64MB DIMM back in (the
system can handle up to 256MB DIMMS), and after having a problem getting the
AGP card situated correctly (it is fairly long (an ATI Xpert Rage Pro 128
w/16 MB RAM, or something like that), it seems to be working fine.
One thing I've noticed.
At work I work on IBM PCs that have autosensing motherboards. When I
switched one of the PC100 (64s) with an IBM 66MHz 64, it have me a BIOS
warning telling me I had switched to ECC memory.
I told it "OK" and saved the setting and I was good to go.
When I checked my BIOS here at home (Award), it did have memory settings,
but it was set to disabled. I think the choices were parity, non-parity,
ECC, disabled. I was wondering if that could have something to do with it?
I'll try it out on my PC @work tomorrow. I have 192MB in that machine. I'll
first take out the 64MB DIMM and then see what the BIOS says the 128MB DIMM
is. Then I'll put the PNY memory in and see if it notices a change.
I also noticed today in my BIOS an initial slot or something for booting. I
know that PCI video cards need to go into the 1st PCI slot. Mine was set to
PCI. I changed it to AGP.
Now the computer seems to be working fine.
I think I'll put it through its paces for awhile, burning CDROMs, running
Win2K, playing games on Win98, et cetera, to see if the hardware issues are
ironed out.
As an Linux aside......................
Was there a big change made to Sendmail between RedHat 6 & Mandrake (based
on RedHat 6.1) 7?
At work, I have a Linux server that I was forced to take off monitoring the
web traffic going across the router by authorities in the company higher
than I.
In RedHat 6, I set up SendMail with relaying specific computers and such
with no problems. With Mandrake 7, it was a nightmare.
<please don't flame> I finally installed at home for my domain (pamarq.com)
Windows NT Server 4 with Mercury32 mail server (the same wonderful guy who
brought the world Pegasus Mail, and it works flawlessly. I love Mercury32.
It gives me everything I need, and it is in a graphical environment. I've
had no problems since I set it up. </please don't flame>.
I hope my personal computer problems are a thing of the past. I deal enough
with problems at work.
Long live the Freedom of Choice!
Mark