What shall we do with the Microsoft.....

Alan Gore agore@uswest.net
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 14:33:34 -0700

At 01:46 PM 4/2/00 -0700, you wrote:
>The interesting thing about Judge Posner's statement is that it implies that
>the State Attorneys General are the ones who scuttled any possibility of
>statement. He went out of his way to praise the efforts of both Microsoft
>and the DOJ, but notably did not mention the States.
>
>It wouldn't surprise me, really. The States know that a settlement means
>they can't file civil suits. And, with the tobacco money still warm in their
>hands, they view Microsoft as their next cash-cow.

That's why I'm glad that the Microsoft talks broke down. Judge Jackson will
issue an opinion requesting that Microsoft be nationalized and its assets
used to form a new Federal Bureau of Software Management, modeled after the
sterling success of NASA. Microsoft will appeal and, with any luck, this
piece-a-crap suit will be tied up in the courts until some exogenous event
occurs that makes the whole thing moot. Either the IT market will make some
zig that Microsoft isn't quick enough to follow, or John Stossel will be
elected President and the suit gets thrown out.

Is anyone else in here old enough to remember when IBM was the root of all evil?