What shall we do with the Microsoft.....

Mark R. Myers myers@fastq.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:02:20 -0700

Because then we wouldn't all be cheerleaders for Microsoft.
Unlike some, I don't see Microsoft as the "evil empire."
I see Bill Gates as probably one of Harvard Business School's brightest
dropouts.
Let us face it, in the early days of Micorsoft, he pulled some pretty good
moves, capitalized on others mistakes (IBM), and gave the public what it
needed--a GUI to run on an IBM-compatible machine.
I remember the early days (even before DOS became synonymous with just one
OS, rather than being short of the Disk Operating System). My first IBM
compatible PC was a Zenith EZ-PC with 16 shades of gray, CGA-compatible
monitor. The biggest hard drive you could get in a computer was 20MB, and
they were HUGE (those good old, MFM drives).
The EZ had 2 720KB 3.5" floppy drives. You would have to put the DOS boot
disk in one, and your program in the other. Q&A Write (a good word processor
at the time), fit easily onto 1 720K floppy, with a little room to spare.
Then I upgraded to Professional Write and had to use both floppy drives for
the one program.
The EZ came with 512KB of RAM, and right away I bought the only expansion
possible for it. That big box on the back gave it 640KB total RAM, a 1200
baud modem, and a serial port.
This was 1988 (so long ago). My wife would not TOUCH the thing. She could
not understand DOS, or swapping floppies, or anything like that. Once I set
Q&A up for her because she needed to write a paper.
Now, thanks to Win3.1, & Win95, and computers as a whole getting better, she
now teaches basic computing and software packages at our company (Win95,
SAP, Siebel, Lotus Notes (ugh), Office97). Why did she learn it? Because it
was graphical and it made sense to her.
There were 100s of millions of people like her.
Because these people started buying computers because computers became
easier, prices started to drop dramatically.
So, in a way, we can thank Bill Gates. Why? Partially because of his
products, the price of PCs has plummeted.
I know that if life would have been different, and any one of us would have
grown up to be Bill Gates, we wouldn't trade places with any one of us, even
for a second.
Do I like Microsoft business practices? No. Do I like some of their
products? Yes.
IMHO, I think what should be done is that MS's OS division should be
separated from the rest of the company. The OS division should openly share
any new API's or innovations in both current and upcoming OSes with other
vendors--whether they be Microsoft Software Division, IBM-Lotus, Corel,
Caldera, whoever. I think that would be fair. That would more level the
playing field. Then a small company would have the same knowledge of the
API's and the OS as Microsoft Software Division would. Whether they take
advantage of that knowledge, is up to them.
That is what I think should be done with Microsoft. And, BTW, I corrected
the spelling in the subject line.
Mark