What shell we do with the Microsoft.....

Jim W farli@wiredglobal.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:09:14 -0700

Now that ya mentioned IE, isn't it quite amazing that the Wizards from
Redmond vehemently denied that they could separate  IE from the OS core, but
now that their 'nads are on the line, they are more than happy to offer that
very same separation as a small part of their settlement offer?

Personally I think M$ broke the law.  But because they are so big and so
powerful and so many fortunes depend on their financial health, only one
solution is feasable - completely opening the APIs.  I know that M$ is very
adept at skirting the letter of concent decrees.  If teeth were put into the
decree - something like: a)  all API changes must be published at least six
months in advance before being used in ANY M$ product, b) all APIs must be
published and freely available, and c) if any violation by M$ is found, they
are forbidden from using the API in question for a term of at least five
years - M$ might think twice about their practices.  A side benefit from
such a measure is that access to M$ OSes will be as accessible to
independent developers as it is to internal developers.

jmho

Jim

the future is now