Ping but not able to ftp or telnet

Tom Jones tjones@inficad.com
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 21:31:24 +0700

Edit your /etc/inetd.conf to uncomment (remove the #) at the beginning of the
lines for ftp and telnet.  Then restart inetd.

If that isn't your problem, it could be tcpwrappers.  Try adding your local
network and its netmask into /etc/hosts.allow.  it should be something along
the lines of 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0.

Obviously you'll want to substitute your network numbers and netmask.

For more info: http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/linux.html

TJ