[PLUG-Devel] Quick HowTo Drupal Twitter and Facebook Modules

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Jan 20 08:19:15 MST 2011

Hans,

I don't need your Drupal <http://drupal.org/> version since these work for
4,5,6.  I think you built ABLEconf  over on 110mb.com<http://www.110mb.com/>,
one of the free sites I recommended a few years ago?

FOSS Modules Available via:
http://drupal.org/project/fbconnect
http://drupal.org/project/twitter

These modules have no dependencies.

Download, extract and ftp into the module directory (varies by version);
login as Administrator, choose Administrator-->Modules to enable your new
tools (be sure to check "throttle", as memory might not have been extended
in your configuration files (I did it on PLUG <http://plug.phoenix.az.us>,
allowing a great deal of new fun) [hit me later, I will clue you how to
expand your available system memory]).

NOTE for you scaredycats - often when you add modules the first time your
site appears to be broken with a series of errors; just wait and hit reload,
unless you are changing a module or setting related to the Administrative
menu, or login access, you should be fine "Buck Up"; if you still cannot get
in - ftp or web Manage Files to delete that offending module and
reinitialize your login (remove cookies).

Get Facebook API key from developers.facebook.com

Twitter module has a global account in the module setup that often doesn't
work with your twitter name.
Instead go into your username and add your twitter name/blog/etc.  This is
nice in that a great number of users can add content (comments, video,
photos) and post to twitter including a tinyurl.

Here's the video:
http://www.drupalove.com/drupal-video/drupal-facebook-connect-and-twitter-modules

Should take about 15 minutes to enable.

NOTE, if you have a custom theme that uses a CSS TAB menu for the user
options, this will add two, which might go off the screen.

Since you don't use custom CSS or themes, this should just appear on the
user's menu!

Viola!  Easy "use the source" tools for everyone.

Drupal is a secure<http://montenasoft.com/files/Securing_Your_Drupal_Site.pdf>(when
implemented well) easy
CMS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system> that provides
the ability to vastly and easily modify themes and write (or hack) custom
modules.

Governments and Municipalities Using Drupal are extensive:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/24119

Of course if you use insecure modules, or fail to pentest your own
environment, there could be problems:
http://wewatchyourwebsite.com/wordpress/2009/02/website-used-by-federal-government-hacked/

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:09 AM, der.hans
<ABLEconf+discuss at lufthans.com<ABLEconf%2Bdiscuss at lufthans.com>
> wrote:

> Am 19. Jan, 2011 schwätzte Lisa Kachold so:
>

>  Did you setup the modules in Drupal to burst to Facebook/twitter (others)?
>> Do I have Administrator access?
>>

> Which modules do you recommend?
>
> Currently I'm the only one who can add modules.
>

> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
> #  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - CfP 2010Jan22 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
> #  "I have seen the enemy, and it is shiny." -- Benjy Feen, 22Jun2001

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

 http://www.obnosis.com