[PLUG-Devel] Developer Meeting for Jun 3: Automake, Autoconf, libtool, and pkg-config

Paul Hahn paul at hahn.name
Tue Jun 1 16:44:59 MST 2010

This months meeting will cover Automake, Autoconf, pkg-config, and libtool.

We will explore the purpose of each of these tools, and walk through
automating a project with them. After which we will go over some of
the common gotcha's that non-package maintainer's can encounter when
trying to build a system using ./configure; make;, and cover how to
fix them.

The project will consist of using the above tools to build:

    * A C/C++ executable
    * A shared library, as well as a static library with the same content
    * Additional test jig code in a subdirectory
    * Generation of install and test make targets
    * TeXInfo project documentation in info, html and pdf formats
    * Integration of the toolset with rpmbuild, to produce RPM files

This meeting will be of benefit to all Linux/UNIX programmers and
administrators who don't know how to use these tools, but would like
to know more about them.