[PLUG-Devel] IDE

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel at stcaz.net
Tue Jul 6 21:37:29 MST 2010

I have used many IDE's (but not xcode, I don't use Mac).
I generally prefer Netbeans for most development, I like it's interface and it's simple and fast compared to Eclipse.
Eclipse is not too bad for C++ (but it's often horribly unstable on Linux due to bad "plugins").
Both Eclipse and Netbeans are cross-platform and written in Java.  Netbeans is dual-licensed CDDL and GPL v2; Eclipse has it's own Open-Source license.

For Linux users, there are some nice native tools as well.
  MonoDevelop is not too bad if you want to develop C# or VB.Net code.
  KDevelop is nice for QT/KDE development.
  Code::Blocks (codeblocks) is a good very-simple IDE, a good transition from vi for C/C++ coding.