[PLUG-Devel] Bash shell scripting class at MCC

JD Neglia, PE jd at mccele.com
Tue Aug 17 13:35:20 MST 2010

>> Does anyone teach interfacing to peripherals via USB/ethernet using
>> linux? That's what I'm interested in.
>
> Do you mean writing kernel drivers? For that you probably need to take the
> kernel class directly from Red Hat.

If you are looking for something more hardware-interfacing/electronics
oriented, the MCC Electronics program has a two-course sequence that
may come close to what you are looking for.  The courses are ELE241
and ELE243.  You can see more information on these courses here:

http://www.mccele.com/courses/index.htm#ELE241

In ELE241, students build a microcontroller system with a PIC18F4550
microcontroller that has a USB port.  In that class, students write
the microcontroller code in C (Microchip MPLAB on Linux under Wine)
and download and burn their programs into the PIC over the USB port.

ELE243 is the second course in the sequence, focusing on hardware
interfacing using the system built in ELE241.

Currrently we don't write any host-side USB code in either of these
classes, but I'm planning on adding this for the next time we offer
this course, either in 2011 Spring or 2011 Fall.

Before we switched over to Linux, I wrote a simple little data
acquisition utility on the host side for this system.  But that was
under Win32, and I haven't had a chance to port it over to Linux for
the class yet.  For simplicity, It used the standard virtual serial
port USB.  We don't plan on getting into HID, mass storage device, and
the other USB interfaces that are available, as our students are more
focused on hardware.

JD Neglia, PE
MCC Electronics Program Director
http://www.mccele.com