[PLUG-Devel] Profiling a new programming language

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Nov 16 07:34:26 MST 2008

> I am aware of what it may take, and that I may not succeed. Honestly I'm kinda
> just tinkering, so don't expect anything coming from me overnight... I have
> some help if I was to need it, a really astounding programmer friend, so if I
> hit any deadends I can ask him for help.

Oh, I imagine that you can succeed. I didn't mean to make it sound
daunting. Rather that it'll take some learning and perserverance.

> Honestly, I'm not sure I"m really cut out for programming, this is just me
> trying to keep at it... It's fun, i just don't have the mind for it 90% of
> the time.

At my current job *everyone* is encouraged to know basic scripting
skills, at the least. I do mean everyone, and we are not a computer geek
company. Some programming skill is likely to come in handy even if
your job title isn't "programmer," especially in a unix-like
environment.

OTOH... 90% not having the mind for it is 10% when you do, which is 2.4
hours per day, right? Some people I've known only do actual work for
about that amount of time each day, so don't rule it out. ;-)

But really, if you find yourself drawn in by programming and spending
way too much of your time messing with it over months/years, then
consider a career. Otherwise tinker when you want and enjoy it.

I'm just full of unsolicited avuncular advice, aren't I?

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/