[PLUG-Devel] Profiling a new programming language

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 23:18:53 MST 2008

On Thu November 13 2008 07:33:33 am Darrin Chandler wrote:
> Once you've done that, you might want to put what you've got into a
> formal notation such as BNF. If you can define it well enough then you
> can turn to tools such as lex/flex & yacc/bison, which have been
> designed to generate parsing code from specs. If you can't define your
> language that well then you need to get to that point! Even if you end
> up not using C/lex/yacc!

So, I've been playing with BNF... the only compiler I could find in debian apt
was one called bnfc, which generates haskell code... which I don't know what
to do with :D

I looked at lex and bison, but they don't seem to use BNF for their syntax, or
am I incorrect in saying this? If so, what guide would I use to format my
BNF? I currently use this (http://www.nongnu.org/bnf/) to format my BNF, but
I have yet to install that tool, as I would much prefer something sitting in
debian apt, for obvious reasons :)

btw, what is a filter?

Cheers...
Ryan

--
Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix

I want a girl with a short skirt and a loooooooong jacket