[PLUG-Devel] Ann: Devel Meeting, Thursday, July 3rd

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jun 25 22:20:23 MST 2008

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, July 3rd, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
(Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4415+E.+Cotton+Center+Blvd.+Phoenix+AZ+85040&ie=UTF8&ll=33.402803,-111.986496&spn=0.008473,0.015535&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1)

Topic: What's Important About Subversion 1.5

The latest release of Subversion 1.5 is important for several reasons
that will be covered in this  July 3rd presentation. Subversion 1.5 has
been a long time coming and is widely anticipated with many requested
features. I will cover some of the most anticipated - Merge Tracking,
Sparse Checkouts, and Changelist support. How one works with Subversion
will also be covered when I review Interactive Conflict Resolution and
the implications this has for future developments. Finally I will
summarize some of the "under the hood" improvements, including the
"hidden feature" feature.

Like other point releases, this one comes with a warning that working
copies will be upgraded to a non-backward-compatible format if touched
with Subversion 1.5. This can be a problem only if you use, on that same
working copy, other SVN clients that have not moved up to API version
1.5 compatibility - they will fail. Repositories created by SVN 1.5 are
similarly incompatible, but 1.4 version repositories are not
automatically upgraded. I will list a quick state of the clients for
those considering the move to version 1.5.

Presenter:

Ed Nicholson is a long standing PLUG attendee and advocate for Free,
Open, Libre, and Whatever software, protocols, media and data. Ed thinks
Fee Software is this generation's great civic contribution, and that it
should be considered on a par with the Moon Shot, the Great Society, and
the Great Western Migration in terms of depth, breadth and direction of
change. All are deep, broad ranging changes for good.

Meeting Note: Bring your laptop with wifi and participate directly with
the presentation.  Ed will be using his own "ThinkThis" presentation
participation server.

NO Internet access is available.

We have a candy machine and soda machines that will take your money for
refreshment.  You are welcome to bring your own food.  No alcohol please.

Alan