[PLUG-Devel] Ann: PLUG Devel Meeting, Thursday, February 7th

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Feb 6 14:32:17 MST 2008

Tomorrow night.

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, February 7th, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
(Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4415+E.+Cotton+Center+Blvd.+Phoenix+AZ+85040&ie=UTF8&ll=33.402803,-111.986496&spn=0.008473,0.015535&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1)

The building in question is actually south east of the green arrow
marker.  It is the mostly square building directly south of the traffic
circle in the road.

Topic: Algorithms and Languages

Using the right tool for the job is always best.  But if I'm only
familiar with programming in C, that's the only tool I'll use.  Many of
us know and use multiple programming languages but tend to specialize in
only a few, at most.  What is a quick way to get meaningful exposure to
alternatives?

At this meeting we'll have a discussion on two fronts leading to a
future goal.

First we'll come up with a list of "popular" or well known programming
languages used in Linux development.  This will include some discussion
of strengths and weakness of each.  Ask questions, pontificate
purposefully and share your expertise about languages.

Second we'll discuss some well known algorithms that programmers
implement or re-implement consistently.  Things like bubble sort, string
case changes, regular expressions, sum of squares and so on.  We can
discuss what they are and where they are used.

The GOAL: Compare the code when each algorithm is implemented in each
language.  This comparison will have to take place in a future meeting.
 We will make a list of languages and algorithms, maybe 5 or so of each
from the discussion above.  Then volunteers will go away to write code
that performs the algorithms in the language(s) they know.  In a future
meeting, next month or later, we can have the authors come back to
compare the code.

Sounds fun to me!  See you at Adtron.

Wired Internet access is available.  The public wireless is currently
disabled.  If someone brings an access point, we'll plug it in and
everyone will be grateful, I'm sure!

We have a candy machine and soda machines that will take your money for
refreshment.  You are welcome to bring your own food.  No alcohol please.