[PLUG-Devel] Hi all

Tim Heuer timheuer at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 10 20:47:07 MST 2007

Hey jmz, no you didn't call me a sell-out, but you are calling me out, so I'll take the bait ;-)

"Kind of salesman" -- you mean the same kind of salesman you are about your desire for leveraging OSS?  Then sure, yes I'm a 'salesman' in my passion for technology.

"MSFT marketroid" -- I like this one, I think I'll use it, but I come from 12 years of software development (may not be a lot by some standards) where I wrote code.  I still write code but thankfully have no deadlines and don't have to track my time in 15 minute increments.  My passion at the core is code.  Hardly a marketroid.  As to if being on this list is a part of my job description?  I guess so.  My job is to be a liaison for software developers to Microsoft, to demonstrate the technology pieces I'm passionate about, and to learn as well.

"MSFT spamming this list is also not my idea of ethical behavior" -- as was pointed out, I was *asked to join* -- I can send you the entire thread with Alan if you'd like.  I did not enter until asked to do so.  I'm on the local Ruby list, I'm on the local Rails list, I'm on the local Java list -- I've not once spammed anyone of them (including any MSFT list).

"war on Linux/oss" -- those times are in the past -- again, I believe we've chosen a course and have the right people in place to help that course continue.  Our partnership with Novell, our open source labs, etc.  I have a few open source projects myself and can attest to that the greater community of Microsoft developers don't "get" OSS -- they think it is just free software.  I see it as a collaborative software environment.  I have one project that was so popular in sales I decided to open source it at the request of the customers.  There were tweaks they wanted.  So I did.  3 years later, not one contribution back to the project, but over 78K downloads.  Disappointing to say the least, but it demonstrated that the Microsoft greater community (read: developers) have a long way to go to understanding OSS.  It's a growing pain process for a community that has historically just been commercial.

"wolf in sheep clothing" -- I've not been called that yet, but I was called an unwitting agent at OSCON06.  That led into about a 4 hour conversation where it suddenly dawned on the group we were talking with that despite their distaste of Microsoft at OSCON we were the only "vendor" that came to talk to the community (the barcamp style gatherings throughout the conference) -- several noted that Google, MySql, Zend, etc. -- most that avidly support OSS -- were not willing to talk to them.  We are/were because we want to learn how to make it work better.  Sure, I'm one of 65K employees.  But I wouldn't work for a company I don't believe in and I wouldn't participate in things I'm not passionate about.

I'm a believer in choice.  And as such you have your opinion and choice to believe what you wish of me.  I absolutely love technology.  It is unfortunately my hobby as well as my job and takes a lot of time away from my personal life (what little of it is left with 2 small kids) and my family time.  I absolutely love learning more and more.  Quite frankly this thread has already educated me as well -- and that's the point for me.  I keep an open mind always.  Always.

I'm sorry that this thread has degraded to calling people out and making assumptions.  I'll respectfully leave when asked.

tim heuer | (602) 405-4567 | im: tim at timheuer.com | blog: http://timheuer.com/blog/