[PLUG-Devel] Hi all

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Sep 9 23:53:26 MST 2007

Josh Coffman wrote:
> [snipped all]
>
> I want to speak up on behalf of Tim. He is a dev/tech guy. Don't think
> of him as having 'drank the MS cool aid'. Yes, he is fully competent at
> his job, as is Scott Guthrie himself. I know Tim to be more 'one of us'
> than 'one of them'; as I think Scott Guthrie is as well. In fact many
> techies from MS that I've met are far more grounded than the general
> perception on this list of the corporate entity that MS is. Scott Gu has
> great influence at MS, and is clearly very helpful with Miguel and the
> mono team. I find that re-assuring.
>
> Basically, please differentiate the MS techs from MS the corp.

Tim is an excellent person, as far as I know.  I have never had a bad
interaction with him.  Scott Guthrie was impressive as a person at the
one event where I met and talked to him.  I have no complaints about
either of them personally or about their sincerity to do their chosen
work as best they can.  They are bot obviously genuine and smart.

I do differentiate between the corporation and the people who work for
the corporation.  I hope my comments do not imply anything different.
If so, it is not intended.

> As far as silverlight conspiracies, I think my business theory is a
> better explanation as to why the Corp is supporting Scott Gu/Miguel De
> Icaza/Mono... Silverlight won't succeed as a tech unless it works on
> 98%+ of client machines browsing those web sites. So they are helping
> themselves by helping others.

Agreed.  The main reason for Moonlight is to get Silverlight onto every
platform where Flash is available.  Right now, market penetration is the
goal.  My worry is what happens if Silverlight/Moonlight becomes
dominate over Flash.  That is the position of strength where the
corporate hunger for revenue becomes the driving force of decisions.
That is when the need for helping others approaches zero.