[PLUG-Devel] Hi all

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Sep 5 22:11:42 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:12 -0700, Tim Heuer wrote:
> Just joined the list after talking with Alan.  I heard some were
> interested in having more of a discussion about the
> Silverlight/Moonlight announcement.  I’m happy to discuss.  I’m also
> happy to come to one of the meetings to discuss (if my travel schedule
> permits).  Bottom line…I’m a developer, love technology, just as
> passionate as everyone else…so let’s discuss!

Nice to meet you Tim, thanks for joining us.  I posted some original
questions as Alan was going to aggregate them.  They were:

-- If I Moonlight exists, what's the point of Silverlight?  No,
seriously.  Mono runs on Win32, Moonlight will likely run on Win32, I
really don't see why anyone would want to run the close source version
of something that is 100% compatible with the open source version (which
MS has said Moonlight will be).

-- As the web becomes mobile, why should I care about this?  It seems
like another canvas widget, but without the general support.  Why is MS
reimplementing canvas (with some improvements, I admit) when extending
it is probably easier and more likely to get into distribution faster?
It seems like with SVG and Canvas I already have everything in
Silverlight... (minus video, but browsers can already do that)

-- I'm confused on the vector graphics support.  Is that through XAML?
I guess I never really saw that as a graphics format, so I'm a touch
confused.

-- "Downloadable binary CODEC" -- please explain to me why this isn't
the security flaw that ActiveX was.  Especially considering all the
Intel processor errors that the OpenBSD guys have found.  Are we going
to need install an "x86 ISA lint" into our firewalls to protect users?

I also have an additional question about the downloadable CODECs.  I
e-mailed Miguel about it, but I was curious what Microsoft was thinking
here also.  He mentioned that the CODECs were only licensed for use with
Moonlight within the browser.  Does that mean that I can't use Moonlight
in an "disconnected" (no Internet) type situation with video?

	Thanks,
		Ted