[PLUG-Devel] Latest Word on Content Managers?

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Fri Aug 24 11:11:59 MST 2007

Hi, Strangers!

I am tasked with updating a departmental web site for software developers on our Solaris platform.  This will be FOSS based.  I will not a lot of time to spend on it, and I want to make it easy for others to hack on it too.

I'm thinking I should learn something about content managers now.  The current rambling implementation has a lot of hand-coded pages, with Apache, PHP4 and resin components, mostly four to eight years old.  I need to simplify this.

We are becoming largely a Java-focused shop (though I'm still mostly a C and Perl guy), so  that could influence some of my decisions -- since I want co-workers to be able to help support this.

The goal is to minimize maintenance costs, and make it simple to organize a bunch of miscellaneous resources online.  So I'm really just looking for a pretty simple page builder that co-workers can add entries to.  We'll be pointing at some other applications, but those will be in their own virtual domains.

A form-based data organizer might be very handy.  For starters, we want to re-do our employee profile section which includes vacation schedules.

Efficiency is of very little concern.  We'll have only a few dozen users, typically only one or two at a time, hit and run access.  We're on a Solaris platform.

So my question is simple.  What comes up quick and pays off with minimum effort?

Thanks,

Victor