[PLUG-Devel] Scrum anyone?

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 23:21:56 MST 2006

Funny thing is... I'm not a big proponent of XP either. Btw, Darrin makes good points in his response too.
I've come from background of front-loading the design followed by traditional coding and testing phases.
..and I can see how in some situations that would be a better approach.

We are using Agile-ish practices but definitely not certain aspects of XP per se. For instance, none of us are fans of the
pair-coding idea. We all work from home anyway.

The stuff we do, some of which is also from Scrum, are:

1) short daily meetings to share status
2) an open queue of dev tasks free for someone to pick up; and also certain assigned tasks because specialization is unavoidable.
3) evolutionary releases instead of revolutionary leaps.
4) test-driven development
5) continuous integration of changes into dev builds

4 & 5 we are still working on. Unit testing is great but we're still figuring out how to do that with the web portions of our code.
We are just getting out CI system up and going, and still need to implement auto-deploying builds to the dev environment.
We do use it for builds though.

-j