[PLUG-Devel] development IDE's

coberr at scottsdaleins.com coberr at scottsdaleins.com
Tue Apr 11 10:09:11 MST 2006

Perhaps you are installing to machines that already have the run-time
installed?  In other words, you have not deployed to a clean  machine -
like a clients.  Or maybe your NSIS installer is doping it for you.

The point is you cannot install the latest MS C-runtime onto a machine
without it installed simply by copying it.  If the machine already has the
latest runtime, then you will not have this problem.   You have to build a
special set-up package to properly install them.  Simply copying does not
work.  The great part is that the setup packages built by MS Visual Studio
require .Net !!!!

Anyway - Here is a link describing the situation and solution - if you
google it there are millions more:

                   Alex
                   <slide.o.mix@
                   gmail.com>                                         From
                                         Alex <slide.o.mix at gmail.com>
                   Sent by:                                             To
                   plug-devel-bo         "List for Linux development and
                   unces at lists.P         software engineering
                   LUG.phoenix.a         discussions."
                   z.us                  <plug-devel at lists.PLUG.phoenix.az
                                         .us>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                   04/10/2006            Re: [PLUG-Devel] development
                   07:45 PM              IDE's
                   Please
                   respond to
                   "List for
                   Linux
                   development
                   and software
                   engineering
                   discussions."
                   <plug-devel at l
                   ists.PLUG.pho
                   enix.az.us>

On Sunday 09 April 2006 07:52 pm, Bob Cober wrote:
> What language are you targeting?
>
> For Java - Eclipse is outstanding.  The best there is.  But it is still
> very java oriented.  The c++ support is not quite as good.
>
> Visual Studio is great for c++- but don't try to distributre any native
> c++ apps with the latest version.  You cannot just distribute the .exe
> with dependent dlls.  You will need to build an installer that requires
> .Net.  This madness is caused by the installation requirements of the
> new ms c-runtime.

<snip>

I haven't had this issue, I deploy C++ applications with Visual Studio 2005

all the time without using the MS installers. I prefer NSIS (an open source

installer framework) to the crap that MS has. I have NEVER in any version
of
Visual Studio had a problem distrubuting my applications. If you write
native
C++ apps, all you have to worry about is the C/C++ runtime, there is no
requirement for .NET at all.

slide