SV: Wind River interest?

Pih Lung Pang pihlungpang at yahoo.dk
Tue Oct 11 19:27:52 MST 2005

Yep, I am interested!

Pih Lung

Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> skrev:
I have been in contact with the local Technical Account Manager for Wind
River. I told him that PLUG holds meetings specific to Linux developement
topics and he expressed interest in presenting the Wind River Linux
platform and tools to the group. Would we be interested?

As I reported to last week's meeting, I have now attended one good
presentation on this topic. It appears to me that Wind River is being
very careful of two things:

1. They contribute back to Free Software (they say Open Source) projects
that they distribute and use, attempting to be good members of the FS/OSS
community.

2. They carefully guard and keep their proprietary tools as their own.

That said, their tools look very good and powerful. The Workbench is
Eclipse based and fully integrated with debuggers, profilers and other
bells and whistles. And they always start with untainted FS/OSS project
code (Kernel, GNU, etc.) in their distribution so that the customer
controls any changes.

BTW, the tools are not limited to creating embedded systems. Standard
(desktop and server) system applications can be created with them too.

As I said, I am not presently a user/customer of Wind River. But I was
impressed enough with the presentation that I thought the group might be
interested in learning about this blend of proprietary business with
FS/OSS.

What say you? Anyone interested?