encryption technology (was : Re: OT?: Legal question about p2p)

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue May 31 18:15:04 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:29, Mike Hoy wrote:
> > even trading legal files (such as the linux operating system) can get you in
> > dutch (especially if it contains ANY encryption technology the Federal
> > government deems to be of "national security matter or concern").
>
> I was wondering if you could elaborate on this and maybe give an
> example.

My impression is that encryption is legal if it isn't "used for illegal
purposes" (a very gray area indeed) or exported from the US without
permission (a completely idiotic law, since other nations are smart
enough to develop encryption, so all it does is cripple the US software
industry.)  My information is dated, though, so perhaps this has been
affected by the Police State (oops, I mean PATRIOT) Act.

Vaughn