OT?: Legal question about p2p

der.hans plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue May 31 14:40:03 2005

Am 31. May, 2005 schw=E4tzte Erik Bixby so:

> Does anyone here have any idea what degree of certainty organizations
> such as the RIAA must have in order to subpoena people?  I had an idea
> for a scheme of exchanging files where the peers protect each other
> from knowing for certain whether or not a particular machine actually
> holds any particular file.  (http://www.crabboy.com/secure.txt)
> However, if it is the case that even if there is only a one percent
> chance the RIAA can still subpoena people, the scheme would only serve
> to run up their legal costs.  Not a altogether bad thing.  But, I was
> hoping that there was some sort of legal threshold they had to meet...

As to threshhold ask the EFF or EPIC.

As to how to do such a thing...

There was a paper about onion something or another that would be
interesting. Sorry, I don't remember more offhand and I don't have time to
look.

There was also a project or two about filesharing in such a way as to
not know what file parts you were hosting. I believe they were all
decentralized and encrypted. Again, I don't remember a project name off
the top of my head.

Ahh, freenet was one.

Ah, see tor for onion-routing. There was another onion thing, I think.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  HERE LIES LESTER MOORE