Who's who?

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 30 02:25:03 2005

--------------070304090502080004030006

I may have mentioned this before.  We could create an installfest-only
solution within a couple of days.  If that was the primary goal of the
project, I would have just whipped it out a couple of months back.
We're trying to create a larger open-source project for the PLUG devel
group to work on, and Installfest happens to have a set of needs that
could be met by that project.

The person running the Installfests offered to act as an initial guinea
pig for our efforts, and the person leading the effort to get AZOTO off
the ground chimed in with some additional needs that, combined with
Installfests, formed enough to plan a first release.

At this point I have 3 volunteers to code a Java based solution (2 with
limited experience, I'd like to have at least 1-2 more experienced Java
developers as well before choosing Java as the platform), 2 volunteers
to develop data models, 1 developer willing to work in Python (and/or
GNUe), and 1 willing to work in C and/or Perl.

When there are enough volunteers to make completion of the first release
a reasonable probability, I'll arrange a first F2F meeting for the
development team, and we'll hash out the first few iterations and start
the coding work.  From there, I suspect the remaining issues will begin
to be ironed out rather quickly, primarily via the simple expedient of
having those championing alternatives either code their alternative, or
defer to whichever alternative(s) do.

Bryan,
  If you'd like to start putting together some database models, feel
free to contact me off-list and we can throw some ideas around to see
what we can some up with in the way of a basic foundation model that
we'll extend as we work through the first few releases.

==Joseph++

Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu wrote:

>I have no issues with database design, it is very easy for me to work with SQL
>and normalzing is something I do for fun ;)
>
>As for other forms of code, I am only good with Java... but I can learn,though
>it would slow down my portion of development :)
>
>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>

>>I'd say that this makes sense as an iteration-1 goal for the larger
>>EPP.  This would then be available for use after the first 3-4 weeks
>>from the point where we have people willing to code the software.  I
>>suspect that would be a reasonable timeframe, and the only significant
>>delay involved would be the current issue of trying to find people
>>willing to write the code, which is something you'd have to deal with
>>just to build the smaller option by itself.
>>
>>Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>>

>>>I've just read over last week's emails, and am quite impressed. I think
>>>that Trent has a good handle and approach on a methodology.
>>>
>>>None the less, I'd like to suggest a third, relatively trivial, possible
>>>project.
>>>
>>>As a subset of the Installfest project, I'd like to see a database of
>>>information about installfest volunteers, which would enable
>>>participants to find the appropriate people for answers to the myriad of
>>>questions that inevitably pop up. Kind of a "who's who" and "who knows
>>>what" application. This could be be applied to plug members in general
>>>too (and even installfest participants). Once in place, I think that
>>>each volunteer or plug member could maintain their own information via
>>>the web site.
>>>
>>>The database should provide two basic outputs. First is a
>>>searchable/sortable list of people, and second would be some sort of
>>>name tags. Personally, I'm terrible with names, and I think that they'd
>>>be a nice addition to installfests, and meetings too.
>>>
>>>Thoughts / ideas?

--------------070304090502080004030006

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
an installfest-only solution within a couple of days.&nbsp; If that was the
primary goal of the project, I would have just whipped it out a couple
of months back.&nbsp; We're trying to create a larger open-source project
for the PLUG devel group to work on, and Installfest happens to have a
set of needs that could be met by that project.<br>
The person running the Installfests offered to act as an initial guinea
pig for our efforts, and the person leading the effort to get AZOTO off
the ground chimed in with some additional needs that, combined with
Installfests, formed enough to plan a first release.<br>
At this point I have 3 volunteers to code a Java based solution (2 with
limited experience, I'd like to have at least 1-2 more experienced Java
developers as well before choosing Java as the platform), 2 volunteers
to develop data models, 1 developer willing to work in Python (and/or
GNUe), and 1 willing to work in C and/or Perl.<br>
When there are enough volunteers to make completion of the first
release a reasonable probability, I'll arrange a first F2F meeting for
the development team, and we'll hash out the first few iterations and
start the coding work.&nbsp; From there, I suspect the remaining issues will
begin to be ironed out rather quickly, primarily via the simple
expedient of having those championing alternatives either code their
alternative, or defer to whichever alternative(s) do.</font><br>
Bryan,<br>
&nbsp; If you'd like to start putting together some database models, feel
free to contact me off-list and we can throw some ideas around to see
what we can some up with in the way of a basic foundation model that
we'll extend as we work through the first few releases.<br>
==Joseph++<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu">Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu</a> wrote:
 cite="midPine.GSO.4.21.0503292139460.15025-100000@general3.asu.edu"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">I have no issues with database design, it is very easy for me to work with SQL
and normalzing is something I do for fun ;)

As for other forms of code, I am only good with Java... but I can learn,though
it would slow down my portion of development :)

    <pre wrap="">I'd say that this makes sense as an iteration-1 goal for the larger
EPP.  This would then be available for use after the first 3-4 weeks
from the point where we have people willing to code the software.  I
suspect that would be a reasonable timeframe, and the only significant
delay involved would be the current issue of trying to find people
willing to write the code, which is something you'd have to deal with
just to build the smaller option by itself.

Eric "Shubes" wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I've just read over last week's emails, and am quite impressed. I think