EPP/PEP Sugested task list

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Mar 29 18:47:02 2005

Trent Shipley wrote:

> <<SNIP>
>
>There are more practical compromises and intermediate positions, but only the
>ideal poles have been staked out.  Work on practicalities and real-world
>compromise approaches has yet to begin.

I disagree.  I have staked out what I believe to be a middle-road
compromise, to whit:
1) Research, to the extent required, middle-sized conferencing and
events (i.e. AZOTO perceived needs, small gaming conventions, moderate
expositions, etc...)
2) Develop a flexible architecture that will support these types of
events, and, hopefully, won't require too much work to extend for larger
and smaller cases
3) Develop an initial release plan for the most immediate customer (PLUG
installfest)
4) Develop the release
5) Hold a community vote on the next most immediate customer, extra
weight given to customers willing to put in "sweat equity" and/or other
resources
6) Repeat steps 3-5 until no customers step forward and/or all customers
within the defined market have had their desires met
7) Continue from here as the user/development community desires.

That approach probably won't work for the largest 10% of events held
each year, and probably won't support the smallest 10% of events
either.  This approach should, however, work for the middle 80%, and the
remaining 10% can be built as separate, but compatible, projects, or the
overall architecture might be modified to extend the range of the
solution when the core 80% is complete.  The event planning community
that, we hope, will develop around this project can decide how to
proceed when that point is reached.

==Joseph++