EPP/PEP Sugested task list

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 25 23:36:01 2005

This list is interesting.  I have inserted a few comments with some of the
list quoted for context.  Take them or leave them.

On Friday 25 March 2005 09:06 pm, Trent Shipley wrote:
> [NBB!  This plan, with contributions by Bryan, Derek, and Trent
> iterates over customers or sub-projects rather than Joseph's preference
> for the outer iteration loop over a master architectural plan.]

I don't understand the distinction here between this plan and Joseph's but
I did not read every email in the discussions over the past week or so.
Maybe I missed it but I'll go back and read for myself.

> Phase I: PLUG Installfest Automation
>
>  0 Pre-project
>  0.1 Find preliminary project manager (Joseph)
>  0.2 Recruit interested parties
>  0.3 Find meeting space

Adtron could host meeting space for the developers.  There is a training
room behind the double doors at the back of the break room where the
Devel Meetings are held.  Tables, chairs, markerboards and wireless or
wired internet access can be arranged.  It would be more convenient for
me if the project participants met at the same time as the Devel Meeting
but other meeting days are not out of the question.  It would just take
scheduling.

>  0.4 Schedule meetings
>  0.4.1 As-needed versus regularly
>  0.4.2 Manager responsible for agendas
>  0.4.3 in person or virtual
>  0.4.4 Stand up versus sit down if in person

0.5 Acquire IT infrastructure
0.5.1 Version control
0.5.2 Forum or wiki
0.5.3 Separate email list when reasonable
0.5.4 Jabber or IM server maybe

Jason Santos already offered and setup email list, forum and web site
space.  (Thank you, Jason!)

--[Begin Quote]--
On Thursday 10 March 2005 09:25 pm, Jason Santos wrote:

> No one has responded, but I took the liberty of putting up a couple of
> things:
>
> 1) Mailing list -- details at
> http://mail.opensource.megaslow.net/mailman/listinfo/plug-ep_opensource
>.megaslow.net
>
> 2) Forums -- http://opensource.megaslow.net/forum/
>
> 3) Website -- http://opensource.megaslow.net/pep  (Just some filler
> material there, can be changed easily.)
>
> I can put up just about any kind of CMS or Wiki software if that is
> preferred, or we can go the simple route (ye olde static HTML),
> although that makes group collaboration more difficult.
--[End Quote]--

I'm sure others could be found if wanted for some reason.

>  1 Scope
>  1.1 Solicit User Input
> Get a list of features from the "users" [PLUG/AZOTO stakeholders] to
> find out what it is they need.  These do not need to be in great detail
> or exhaustive, but general in nature. ([Derek] would limit this first
> pass to no more than 50 items.  He suggests Alan would be a good person
> to handle this.  Trent thinks it must be Joseph's job.)

I am certainly willing to provide input and assist in finding others to
provide it.  Dennis Kibbe is the Steering Committee InstallFest guy and
Alexander Henry is the PLUGger the spearheads the InstallFests.  They
would be the primary input sources.  Any others that have experience with
an InstallFest is certainly welcome to provide input.  The trick will be
to prioritize the list down to the limit, I think.  :^)

>  2 Shop versus Build (Shop is BETTER)
>  2.1 Shop
>  2.1.1 Look for FOSS projects with similar overall function
> Review scope and search sourceforge, freshmeat, etc for projects with
> similar functionality. Bring list including url and pertinent
> information back to group.

I assume "group" here refers to the core developers.  IMO a first pass
looking at existing projects would be better handled by a smaller group.
If further opinion is then wanted, the core team can present a short list
to PLUG-Devel as a whole.

>  2.2.1.1 Determine license that will be used

I assume and would encourage GPL from the start.  However, it may depend
on where the "shopping" takes us.  If not GPL then something Free is a
must.

>  2.2.1.2 Determine who holds copyright

Um... I did not think of that till Derek's comment and this one.  I don't
know how this is handled for a group, volunteer project like this.

>  2.2.2 Building/Coding (yippee)

At last!  ;^)

Good Phase I.  I did not quote a lot of the list but that is because I had
no comments there.

> Pre-Phase II: ASULUG/PLUG plan and produce Mega-Installfest
>
>  1 Preferably overlaps Event Software Integration Project Phase One.
>
>  2 May include other elements
>  2.1 Corporate sponsors with booths (exhibition)
>  2.2 Short presentations or poster sessions (conference)
>  2.3 Lectures (seminar)

2.4 Demonstrations (um.. demos?)

>  3 Mega-Installfest work must lead its automation.  (No itch, no
> scratch) 3.1 Do a few Mega-Installfests then start automation project
>  3.2 One Mega-Installfest, then start automation
>  3.3 Shortly after starting work on first Mega-Installfest, start
> working on automation tools.
>  3.4 Start working on automation tools in advance of Mega-Installfest
> (but why?)

We have already done 3 Mega-InstallFests in the past few years.  Tracking
down people who helped or ran those could provide immediate requirements
input.  Recent experience is always good, however.

The Phase II part looks pretty good but I will ignore it here.  I think it
will naturally follow the first phase pretty smoothly.

This is good.  We have a core of people interested in the project as shown
by the participation right here from the start.  I must say I am excited
to see something going!

Alan