System profiling tools?

plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Mar 22 14:19:02 2005

This reminds me, can you specify memory space for a software raid cache?

If, for example, we use the specs mentioned in the previous post, each SATA
drive will burst up to 150Mbs, but only has a sustainable transfer of around
40-45Mbs.  In addition, all drives will be sharing the same bus, and since
RAID 5 has only fair write performance du to overhead.  Thus if I can pump an
effective rate of 100MBs down the pipe to a computer, it is easy to see that
even with a processor fast enough to handle it, the write performance would
drop drastically after only short time.  However, if I could bypass the north
bridge (as you can do with most AMD 64 machines) and drop the incoming data
into a memory space used as a dedicated raid cache, of say 4GB, then your
apparent write rates would increase dramatically.