The project

Derek Neighbors plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Mar 17 21:01:02 2005

Replies within....

Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu wrote:
 > With regard to event planning being a large market (not niche) I must
agree,
 > further more if your develop a reasonable interface and generic ERM/P
 > functionality then templates for various events could be developed to
take
 > care of a broader range of events.  ie, a template set for
Installfests, and
 > another set for Fundraising events, and onather set for weedings, and
yet
 > another set for funerals.  If you use a standerd object plan you
could creat
 > XML templates that genorate the template event, ready for modification.

I would argue that event planning is a niche market even if you open the
doors to a large range of events.  That said, niche markets can still be
very large.  What you are discussing to a degree here is vertical and
horizontal markets.  Vertically the industry of "event planning" is
rather small.  However, if you look horizontally across all industries
many of them have to plan events.  As such there might be some
horizontal usage to well done software.

I think tackling an ERP package is a huge scope and something bigger
than PLUG.  One thing, if you chose GNUe you could play off of other
work and synergies.  All interfaces are XML.  You could look to other
developers to provide your General Ledger, Point of Sale, etc modules
and you could focus on event planning.

 > With regard to language, it should not be an issue at this point.  We as
 > developers should come up with the requirements and architecture that
meets
 > those requirements and then choice a language that fits.  I
personally feel
 > JAVA is a fine choice, and while PHP interpreters exist on multiply
platforms
 > JAVA is far more standard (when was the last time you walked up to a
windows
 > machine that was Python or Pearl ready?)   In  addition, you can
always plug
 > other Language modules rite into it.  I have occasion to use a hand
full of
 > PHP and C++ modules in Java, just check platform choice mod and plug
in.  So
 > nice :)
I agree that requirements gather is more important than language choice
at this point. I will say that I have not used a computer (Windows or
otherwise) in the last 5 years that had JAVA installed and ready on it.
  So I have walked up to exactly the same number of machines that
python/perl ready on it as JAVA.

 > But it may be after the design aspect is done that another language
provides a
 > cleaner path to product…  but it is a decision that should wait until
much
 > later in the design.

Certainly there is merit to deciding what you want to do before deciding
on what you will do it with. :)

That said, I STRONGLY urge all to look at Sourceforge, Freshmeat etc...
There are THOUSANDS of projects that start and NEVER get anything short
of documentation created.  Remember the Free Software Development model
is different than your text books and what you see in commercial land.
While I think understanding what you are writing is important you can
over design things.  There is something to be said for producing working
code.  It garners additional help and keeps morale up.  Certainly the
project needs to decide where, when and with what to code.

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise