OpenOffice weirdness

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Oct 20 09:08:02 2004

Hello everyone:
I have an application which lists all open windows on the desktop.  It does
so by scanning through the children of the top-level "desktop" window and
finding all those with captions.  I use XFetchName to check for window
captions, but I also check them in nonstandard places, such as the value of
the _NET_WM_VISIBLE_NAME atom.  I have recently upgraded from StarOffice to
OpenOffice, and I've discovered that the OpenOffice windows don't have any
names that my application can find.  I've listed all the atoms belonging to
the window, and they don't seem to have anything that identifies them
uniquely.  On the other hand, I can still do a mouse middle-click on the
desktop and get a list of all open windows (this is KDE on Mandrake 8.0)
which includes the OpenOffice windows.  So I know this must be possible.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.