Linux Kernel Developer job

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri May 14 09:38:02 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Craig White wrote:

> No religion - just the thought that after reading this I kind of thought
> that it was inappropriate, but hey, that's just my opinion.
>
> Craig

I thought that it was blatantly inappropriate in the context of a reply to
a job posting thread.  It was as if GH was telling us that Linux is
inappropriate for anyone seeking an open position where embedded systems
are involved based on the experiences of someone more "embedded" with
Linux from a MontaVista background.

The follow-ups are equally inappropriate from the perspective of "I was
out of work for 51 weeks so it is OK for me to tell others to avoid jobs
where embedded Linux is involved."

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the bloke could have at least started
his own thread and introduced his opinions outside of the context of a
valid job opening.

I've used GH tools.  It isn't as if they are the only players in this
space.  I feel like I've been "infomercialed" by a peace-nik who wants to
save soldiers in the field by selling us his compiler/RTOS while using
scare tactics against the evils of Linux and the likelihood of "covert"
misuse as a result of the employer's inability to adequately test their
code to ensure any level of security.  Puh-Leeeez!

This isn't about Linux.  This is about anti-Linux coming from Green Hills
with a Hallmark card depicting dead soliders on the battlefield because
someone allowed a kernel.org "patch" to slip past preliminary field tests
before going to full production.  We have been subverted by the heinous
button pusher from afar who has infiltrated the Linux kernel source that
some stupid DoD company blindly used and trusted completely without
reservations at all.  Hey Ed.  Get a grip buddy.  You're discounting
everyone involved in the project and bringing them down to your level.
Maybe MontaVista didn't need you because you weren't as important to them
as those they retained?  I don't think my speculation on your skills is
useful for anything more than creating more arguments, but let's step off
the soapbox long enough to give DoD contractors some credit for keeping
the DoD in stealth fighters and smart bombs and stuff so far.

DoD Document Number 101 -- How to Use Linux in Life/Death Applications

ftp ftp.kernel.org
get kernel (insert version here)

...extract kernel.

(Use default configuration)

make dep ; make modules ; make bzImage

...use without testing

Invite Al Qaeda for friendly brunch.  Explosive vests optional.

Take Care.

Rob!