CVs Repository on a USB Stick

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Feb 4 09:14:02 2004

David A. Sinck said:
> Keep in mind that the keys have a limited number of write cycles
> (10k?) and this includes the 'atime' modification.  I think I picked
> that up from the linux journal someplace.
>
> YMMV.

This is a common misconception based on historical realities.  In other
words, write cycle counts in the 10,000s used to be the norm for flash
media.  This has not been the case for several years.  Almost any flash
media you purchase presently will have write cycle counts of at least
100,000 with several manufacturers now quoting 300,000 or more.

>From personal experience I can say that a couple of manufactures are
regularly surpassing write cycles into the millions, though none are
quoting that type of endurance.

That said, it is true that flash media does wear out over time.  It will
just take a much longer time for modern flash than most people think.
YMMV because some brands out there are junk.

Alan