build question

Nathan England plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Oct 29 02:10:03 2003

Am Samstag 25 Oktober 2003 05:25 nachmittags/abends schrieb Alan Dayley:

No other oponions on this, anyone?

> Nathan England wrote:
> > Does anyone have any bias for/against building on specific platforms?
> > I mean particularly ia32 versus x86.
> >
> > I would like to hear how people feel about compiling software on an int=
el
> > system vs. an amd system.
> >
> > Only how this pertains to 32 bit.
> >
> > I'm specifically curious about benefits garnered from either platform.
> > Will more software work when compiled on one vs. the other. Performance
> > gains from one when the compiled binary will be run on various systems.
> >
> > Is one more compatible than the other?
> >
> > I know I can build software on an intel system and it will run on other
> > intel systems, I can build stuff on my amd systems it will run on my amd
> > systems, but I'm wondering about performance issues once I compile
> > something on my intel and run it on my amd... and vice versa.
>
> I have never worried or been concerned about it.  I have and use a mix
> of Intel and AMD boxes and have never tried to track any special build
> options or performance between them.
>
> I am curious.  What triggered the question in your mind?
>
> Alan

=2D --=20

Nathan England

nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Todays Fortune:

TAURUS (Apr 20 - May 20)
	You are practical and persistent.  You have a dogged
	determination and work like hell.  Most people think you are
	stubborn and bull headed.  You are a Communist.