DOS to Linux migration library

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 21 23:42:02 2003

I have begun an adventure to migrate some DOS applications, written in C,=
 to=20
be native Linux applications.  In an ideal world, I could just drop the c=
ode=20
in gcc and have it come out executable on the other end.  Of course this =
is=20
not going to happen.

A few facts:
- Several of the apps work great under dosemu.  This is a good start but =
if=20
any continued development happens, I don't want to continue using "DOS wo=
rld"=20
compilers.
- The applications are pretty vanilla.  ie. Nothing really esoteric for m=
emory=20
needs or funky drivers.
- They do use screen/cursor/keyboard control stuff.  For those that remem=
ber=20
the DOS world that would be calls to kbhit(), cursor positioning, etc.

I know that for terminal applications, ncurses is the way to go for curso=
r=20
stuff.  I am studying that now.  However, I wondered if anyone has built =
or=20
seen a "library" or collection of functions that interfaces the DOS scree=
n=20
"API" calls into ncurses calls.  I'd rather not build one if it is alread=
y=20
out there.  Any of you heard of such a thing?  I am still looking around.

Alan