Discless Linux

Christopher Bardin plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 29 19:15:02 2002

der.hans,

The "full fledged" Linux that runs from the SuSe CD sounds
like it might be what I've been looking for.

I already tried some of the suggestions, such as bootable
floppies, but they were not at all what I had in mind.  For
one thing they are meant for someone who already has a lot
of Linux experience.  That leaves me out.  There is a
downloadable discless Linux from France on the internet but
it would take me forever with my dial-up connection and they
couldn't sell me a CD.  I downloaded a "Linuxcare bootable
CD" which sort of works until I try to get the GUI to run.
The problem may be that my target computer, an FIC Sabre
into which I put a PIII 733EB and 512 MB of RAM, has the
Intel 815e chipset which provides onboard video.  The 815e
is a pretty new chipset and maybe the Linuxcare CD doesn't
have a video driver that will work with it.

I realize that to be practical the OS would eventually
require some way to save changes, not to mention saving
actual work.  I just want to be able to fiddle around and
try things without irreversibly screwing anything up.  Also,
running from a CD seems like it would be a quick and tidy
way to try out the various GUIs and other wonderful options
that Linux provides before I configure my own personal
Linux, whether on a hard drive or another CD.  This ability
to customize the OS is one of the features what attracted me
to Linux.

I could go on about it but if you would tell me how I can
get hold of the SuSe CD you mentioned I'll go away to the
PLUG-discuss list and leave you in peace.

Thanks again,  Christopher Bardin