Linux at Tempe Camera; Running Linux from CD - no hard drive.

Deepak Saxena plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 27 21:15:02 2002

On Mar 27 2002, at 13:56, Christopher Bardin was caught saying:
> Apparently the Linux core was designed with the assumption
> that a hard drive, or some sort of communication with a
> hard drive such as a network connection, would always be
> part of any computer it would be used on.

No.  I have several systems at work that I boot with linux
without a disk.  Just boot ramdisk or NFS and things work.
The problem isn't Linux, but the specific distribution you
are using. Slackware is a harddrive installable version
of linux.  If you want to run from CD, you need a distribution
that is configure to do so.  I know there are several available,
but those are targetted at either people doing system repair
(i.e. advacned users, no GUI) or scientific computing.  Hopfully
someone else here knows of a better version.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - deepak@csociety.purdue.edu