Linux Programming Resourses

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Mar 4 18:55:01 2002

Benjamin Bostow wrote:

> I am new to programming for Linux, and was wandering if anyone could
> suggest where to go to learn more about Kernel programming and
> Programming for Linux?

www.amazon.com

Advanced Linux Programming
Understanding the Linux Kernel
Linux Device Drivers
Beginning Linux Programming
Tom Swan's GNU C++ for Linux
Linux Socket Programming

Beginning Linux Programming introduces programming on Linux using a
variety of languages.  It is a fun and useful book that gives at least a
couple of levels deep info on a lot of the necessary programming
elements such as makefiles, shells, etc.

Advanced Linux Programming (a *really* good book, IMHO) is on "system"
programming.

Understanding the Linux Kernel is specific to learning about the kernel.

Tom's book on C++ for Linux is one of my favorites on the subject.
Great exposure to some fun libraries.

LSP is a "must have" for low-level sockets programming.

I also like the pthreads book...

Take Care.

Rob!