>> 100Hz timing wanted

Matt Porter plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Jun 11 20:45:02 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:28:20PM -0700, Mark Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a conventional way to run some logic in a kernel module at a
> periodic rate higher than HZ (100 times a second on x86)?
>
> I am working on a device driver for an analog I/O card
> that doesn't have interrupting capability.

Patch with RTAI or RTLinux and use periodic mode.  This is
neat, clean, and is The Right Way(tm).

Someone is bound to suggest running with HZ=1000, but that
is the path to the dark side.  Lots of drivers depend on
HZ=100 (on x86) and will give you general system flakiness.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter
porter@cox.net