Permisions

Carl Parrish plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Jun 7 18:30:02 2002

Right this is what I did however I ran into the problem that whenever a group memeber added anything to the server no one else could view or write it because the group of that file was the member's primary group. I came up with a solution but I'm thinking there *HAS* to be a better way. What I did was change my primary group to cvs. Then chmod 2775 cvs.
changed my group number back to my primary one. Then logged out. Like I said it works. But if anyone knows how I should have been able to do it I'd like to hear.

Carl P
From: Tom Emerson <tom@technicaljanitors.com>
Date: 2002/06/07 Fri PM 07:52:53 EDT
To: plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Permisions

Brian, without needing to change each user's primary group, you could add
them to the cvs group.

file:
/etc/group

sample entry:
cvs:x:400:user1,user2,user3,user4,user5
(where '400' is the group id number of your choice)

This will keep everybody in their own 'personal' group, and allow shared
cvs r/w

 - tom e.
-----------

0ù1 gang here is my question of the day (as if I only ask one question a
0ù1day. <g>). Okay I've set up a group called cvs and I've changed the
0ù1permissions on my cvs dir to allow read write access to anyone in the
0ù1group. With the exception of me no one should be loging into the box
0ù1for anything except for cvs. So now my question is how do I set it so
0ù1that whenvever they add something to the server its has permissions so
0ù1that anyone in the cvs group will have access to it? I don't think I
0ù1want to change their primary group (though at the moment I can't think
0ù1of why not). But I want everythigh they add to have cvs group
0ù1permissions.

Thanks,
Carl P.