CVS repository structure

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Jul 24 10:35:03 2002

This is a question of big vs. many.  Also, in the answers, please consider
only open source tools (unless you know of something so fabulous that you
can't help yourself).

We have a many software projects, some large, some small, some
inter-related, some very unique and standalone.

I have implemented one big repository.  I then discovered that CVStrac, a
simple web based issue management system, is very repository oriented,
expecting one project per repository.  If all the projects were in one
repository, it would not easily handle information about a single project,
drowning in the single history file of many projects.  But then if each
project was in it's own repository, management cannot get an aggregate view
of effort across all the projects.

So, to the questions:

1. Do we continue with one big repository for all the projects or change to
one repository per project?  Ignore the change effort.  We are early enough
in the usage of CVS that the change to multiple repositories will not be as
painful as it could be if we had been using it for a while.

2. Is there an issue management interface to CVS that can handle multiple
repositories?  Or one that handles multiple projects within a single
repository?  The answer here may dictate the answer to the first question.

I will be making a study of the Mozilla repository and their tools
(Bugzilla, Bonsai, etc.) but something simpler may be more suited to our
small group.

Alan