Linux drivers for HDTV tuner cards

Christopher Bardin plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Dec 5 13:17:02 2002

Seems to me that the output to the computer from any
TV tuner card, whether NTSC or HDTV, has to be
digital.  To the computer the main difference between
the two would be data rate and formatting.

Hauppauge used to have a Linux driver for their NTSC
PCI TV tuner card on their website.  With a little
tweaking it might work for their HD card, and if not
you could probably get a head start on an HDTV driver
by trying to make it work.

Also, there is some sort of what seems to be a generic
driver for the Hauppauge NTSC card in Mandrake Linux
9, which, if it doesn't work outright, might serve as
a starting point for an HDTV driver.  I say it seems
to be a generic because it doesn't have all the
functions and features of the Hauppauge driver.

Just out of curiosity, how big a chunk will a two-hour
HDTV program take out of a hard drive?

-Christopher Bardin