Embedded Linux questions

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Oct 31 22:41:23 2001

Well, we are suddenly getting down to serious decision time at my
employer.  We are designing a product that potentially could have embedded
Linux.  Some questions have come up.

1 - If I have my specific embedded application task running and only the
absolutely required system tasks, what is the minimum and maximum latency
from a switch out of my task and back into my task?  I know a definitive
answer here is dependent on what tasks are running so my question is vague
at best.  What we need at the moment is some sort of ball-park figure to
know if Linux is simply possible for our needs.

2 - Connected to the question above, would a real-time Linux solve this
question with hard latency times?

3 - If we cannot use Linux embedded, we will be using our own task
switching kernel as the embedded "OS"  and we could us DOS as our
development platform with the development embedded app running as a DOS
app.  I would rather not use DOS as the development platform since it is a
limited platform.  How difficult is it to create a Linux app that allows
direct writes to I/O space and stack context switching while still running
as a Linux app?  This would be for the development environment, allowing
debugging etc. on the Linux platform and then making the app PROM bootable
and loadable before moving it into the target product.  We can do this sort
of setup now in DOS.

Hey, if you can't answer my questions because they are too general and
could fill a book, just point me to the book(s), online or on dead tree media.

Alan