Embedded Linux resources

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Oct 4 20:54:23 2001

So far talk has been only the x86 line of processors.  '586 class.

I have just been brought into the discussions on this new product being
designed.  I have had my hands full of maintainance and enhancement of
existing stuff so I have not been a part of the new development discussions.

I assume the Linux possibility came up today and one of the guy filled me in,
since I am the in-house Linux guy.  (scary thought!)  They wanted to know if
I thought we should roll our own development for a lot of the functionality
or if we could use Linux to give us ready made functionality.  I told them
Linux is a viable option and I would study what is available.

The main reason, I suspect, for sticking with x86 is because our current
ebedded systems use that family and we should be able to carry over lot's of
the code (it's mostly C anyway) and the development tools.

I am afraid to divulge more about the design as it is fleshing out because I
have not studied the details yet.  I will have a better handle on that after
tomorrow.

Alan