good meeting

der.hans plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Oct 1 23:02:01 2001

moin, moin,

we had a good meeting tonight. 15 people, so a little bigger than the first
meeting.

Thanks again to Rob for giving us a presentation as well as providing the
eats and drinks. Good pizza selection and wings too! :)

He also provided lots of giveaways, so everybody got something.

After Rob's presentation I brought up the idea of the devel group working on
a community project as was discussed on the list and at length at the first
meeting, but not since :(.

I think we really should either start a project within the group or as a
group join a couple of projects that are already in progress. The idea is
that we can mentor each other while giving back to the community.

Tonight I suggested working on educational software that Sequoia ( our hosts
for the west side meetings ) could use.

They need stuff for doing online math, english, etc. exercises as well as
testing.

The project needs a backend to track how a student is doing as well as to
hold the db for problems. It also needs frontends for different programs.

What I see as a great thing about the educational software is that we can
work with almost completely disassociated modules talking over standard
APIs. This means that we can do projects in a variety of languages, giving
everybody a chance to work on the skills in whatever language they're
wanting to learn.

Please comment and let the group know if this or something else sounds like
something you want to work on. An example of other projects is the video
stuff that Thomas is doing for his Vaio. We've had at least two other people
in either PLUG or ASULUG mention they're interested in at least using what
he comes up with :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,