Embedded Linux questions

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Nov 1 12:51:01 2001

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:18:53AM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>=20
> The app it's self would have multiple tasks.  Because, in this part of my=
=20
> discussion, the app would need to be running it's own kernel as it would =
in=20
> the target system, I would want to run it's task switching kernel as part=
=20
> of the app.  What I mean by context switching is the ability to swap stac=
ks=20
> and directly load CPU registers as the "kernel" contained within the app=
=20
> switches it's tasks.

Sounds similar to what I do in game development, though rarely do I need to
access low level hardware to do task switching. Generally I'd just spawn a
bunch of threads, one for each task, and use IPC to handle information
passing. I suppose you could call the code that controls those threads a
"kernel", though I try to stay away from that word, since it's far too often
confused with the OS kernel.

I'm doubtful you'll need to do low level task switching -- ever --
since doing so would be disastrous, and would totally nullify any reason for
using Linux in the first place. =3Dop

> I have studied books on embedded systems but none specific to embedding=
=20
> Linux, hence all my questions.  Is this book specific to Linux?  The titl=
e=20
> sounds more general.  Not that a general book would be bad, I am just=20
> digging for Linux info right now.
>=20
> Alan

Might want to send a few questions to the linux-kernel list about this
project since they're ear-deep in the kernel's internals daily and would
know more about these kinds of issues than most of us PLUGer's. =3Dop

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu
http://tank.dyndns.org